Sub-Saharan Africa: A Road Map to Opportunity

This week I’m writing from Nairobi. It’s been a bit less than a year since I left, and I needed to get my “shot of Africa.” I arrived early on Sunday morning, and I could soon hear familiar song from a nearby church. Singing and dancing is an important part of African cultures (note the plural!): “without motion, there’s no emotion,” as they say. Heavy rain and the smell of wet soil also accompanied me: I already had my shot! The counter-effects of course weren’t far behind: a young kid begging to sell a candy so that he would not be afraid to go back home.

Sub-Saharan Africa: full of opportunities

Over the course of this year, I’ve had many chances to reflect on my experiences in Nigeria, Kenya, and – to a lesser extent – Ghana and South Africa. Today I want to share one of those occasions with you: a conversation with my colleague Alex Lago in which we discuss our perspectives on the continent. If you are interested in having a road map to opportunities in Africa, watch this conversation. I won’t write much today so that you have more time to listen to our discussion (15’ 51’’) about what it takes to succeed in sub-Saharan Africa: understanding country differences, working with local partners, taking into account all stakeholders, etc.YouTube Preview Image

What’s your main takeaway from the discussion?