Ethiopian Women Flying High

Have you ever flown in a plane with an all-female crew? I know your answer: no – unless you flew from Addis Ababa to Bangkok with Ethiopian Airlines a couple of weeks ago.

This was the first time in the history of aviation that a flight has been operated by women only, including cockpit, cabin crew, maintenance crew, and air traffic controllers. Wouoh!

This made me curious about Ethiopian women, so I searched for some basic data:

• Primary education completion rates (% of relevant age group): 42% of Ethiopian girls complete primary education – compared to 65.9% across Sub-Saharan Africa.
  • Seats held by women in the national parliaments: 28 % compared with 23% in SSA.

I found the contrast interesting: While a lower proportion of Ethiopian girls than from other SSA countries complete primary education, more Ethiopian women participate in high-level national politics. And this made me curious about the country’s culture. (Read full article on Africa from Africa blog).

Africa Ariño

By Africa Ariño, professor in the Strategic Management Department at IESE Business School. Dr. Ariño received her Ph.D. in Management from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).