There are many advantages of studying your MBA in one of the most beautiful European cities! Here are 5 fun facts about Barcelona to keep in mind while you are visiting for tourism, visiting campus, or studying your MBA in IESE.
Finally, if you are visiting Barcelona, do contact MBA Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) about organizing a class visit and campus tour!!! Experience the MBA first hand!
5 Fun Facts About Barcelona
- Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, an autonomous community of Spain that consists of four provinces: Barcelona, Girona, Lleida, and Tarragona.
- There were no beaches in Barcelona until 1992, when the City decided to change Barcelona into a leisure zone for the Olympic Games. Now it is considered one of the “best beach cities” by National Geographic. According to the Discovery Channel, Barceloneta Beach is the best urban beach in the world.
- Barcelona is Europe´s largest metropolis on the Mediterranean Coast. It is the second largest city in Spain after Madrid and the 11th most populous urban area in the EU.
- Barcelona is the only city to ever win the Royal Gold Medal for Architecture, an award created in 1848 by the Royal Institute of British Architects on behalf of the British monarch, in recognition of an individual’s or group’s substantial contribution to international architecture.
- Both Catalan and Spanish are official languages in Barcelona. While Spanish is spoken more frequently, Catalan is understood by 95 percent of Barcelona residents. While studying Spanish in IESE, please note that we only focus on learning Spanish, not Catalan. Many people around the city understand some English as well, as its one of the most international cities in Spain!