Choosing IESE was the best decision I could have made (Maggie Wang, MiM 23, China)

My name is Maggie Wang, and I am from Shanghai, China. Before joining the IESE MiM program, I was working as a technology consultant at HPE in Hong Kong after earning my bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. However, I felt a nagging uncertainty about whether I was on the right career path, having never been exposed to the business industry during my undergraduate studies. To uncover my true calling, I decided to pursue a master’s degree, with three critical considerations in mind.

First and foremost, I was determined to develop a clear direction for my career. This meant that the school I chose needed to have outstanding career development resources and an extensive alumni network. Second, I was eager to delve deeper into finance, accounting, and economics – fundamental knowledge that would prove invaluable in both my personal and professional life, regardless of the industry I chose to work in. Third, I craved the chance to explore different cultures and gain international experience.

One of the highlights of my MiM experience – an international module in New York! Here we are visiting the Lego store as part of our experiential marketing class.

With these goals and criteria in mind, I discovered IESE Business School, a perfect match with the help of Dr. Luis Go, MiM Associate Director responsible for Asia. Attending the online Open Day was a revelation – the interactive case methodology and the opportunity to learn and share from different perspectives was truly inspiring. I was blown away by the fact that the materials used in class came from real business cases in diverse industries, which not only broadened my knowledge but also enhanced my understanding of the business world. Soon after, I applied and received a generous scholarship offer.

Now, as I look back on my journey, I am filled with immense pride and satisfaction. Choosing IESE was the best decision I could have made. Through this sharing, I want to reflect on whether I have achieved my goals.

First, IESE helped me discover my passion for strategy consulting and corporate finance. Thanks to the Career Development Center and the school’s vast alumni network, I received offers from both BCG Dubai and Santander Asia Graduate program. I ultimately decided to take up the challenge in consulting, with opportunities to work in different industries in a rapidly developing region.

Secondly, I have developed a true love for finance and economics. Through various finance courses, such as Capital Markets, Corporate Finance, and Financial Accounting, I have gained invaluable knowledge both theoretically and practically. This would enable me to assess the business impact of different recommendations for my clients’ companies as a consultant. Moreover, I have a better understanding of my personal finance situation.

Last but not least, working with teammates from different countries has honed my essential soft skills. I have learned how to communicate effectively, work efficiently, and manage conflicts better. I have also picked up some basic Spanish along the way.

Proud and satisfied to be part of the MiM Class of 2023!

The 11-month IESE MiM program has been an extraordinary journey for me. I have faced failure and breakdowns, but more importantly, I have found a supportive community that helps each other to move forward towards our goals. If you’re reading this and are unsure about embarking on a similar journey, please do not hesitate to reach out to the MiM Admissions Team or any one of us students or alumni. We would be thrilled to answer your doubts and share more about our experiences.

Written by Maggie Wang, MiM Class of 2023

Pursue your Master in Management! Take these next steps today:

Camille Chow View more

Associate Director, Admissions (MBA '16)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/camille-chow/

One comment

1. Maggie Wang’s reflection on her decision to join the IESE MiM program offers valuable insights into the considerations that led to her choice. Her desire for career clarity, coupled with the pursuit of knowledge in finance and economics, underscores the importance of aligning educational goals with personal and professional aspirations. Additionally, her aspiration to gain international experience highlights the value of cultural immersion in today’s globalized world. Wang’s thoughtful approach to decision-making serves as an inspiration for prospective students navigating their academic and career paths.