Elections and Political Stability

This week we had a case premier in my MBA class. We discussed the brand-new case Innovis Telecom. Actually, both the students and I enjoyed the discussion quite a lot! Founded in 2010, Innovis is an Indian company that provides services to telecom operators. Uganda and Myanmar are its main markets but they also operate in about 10 other African countries. Political stability was one area of discussion. This made me curious about upcoming presidential elections in African countries.

Political stability and business in Africa.jpg
House of the late President Mandela in Johannesburg

Actually, Uganda will have elections this month. The incumbent President is Yoweri Museveni of the National Resistance Movement. He’s been in rule for the last 30 years, and plans to still run for the next term. In his favor, he rebelled against the dictatorships of Idi Amin (1971-79) and Milton Obote (1980-85). According to The Africa Report, the opposition parties may have a case if they unite forces. More so given that the ruling party is not cohesive now. However, Museveni may still count with the support of societal segments as diverse as the rural poor, the powerful business community, and women.

Other countries with Presidential elections ahead of them this year:

• February: Niger, and Benin;
  • April: Djibouti, and Tchad;
  • May: Scheychelles;
  • July: Republic of Congo;
  • August: Gabon;
  • September: Zambia
  • November: Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Gambia;
  • December – Ghana

Central African Republic (CAR) had a first round of elections at the end of last year. No candidate had more than 50% of the votes. The results were annulled, and a second round of elections will take place this coming week.

Does this situation resemble to any other you may be familiar with…? I can’t help but of the instability we’re undergoing in my own country… not to say that Spain is the same as CAR, but…

My blog is not a political one, but I do comment on business and social issues, and politics touches upon them.

6 thoughts on “Elections and Political Stability

1. I am deeply involved in DRC’s upcoming elections having managed to convince one of the presidential candidates to elaborate a program…the first one in the country’s recent history! The big challenge is to make it comprehensible for the population. Quite a challenge!

You are right to raise the subject of the key 2016 Presidential Elections in Africa. Let’s hope that they will lead to the much needed democratic changes!

MHR

2. very nice, very nice information, I really like reading articles about politics, since it could add insight for me, and can find out many things about politics, thank you for sharing,,,,,

3. Happy most African countries are seeing stability in governance. But sad to see some heads entrenching themselves as if they alone have the repository of wisdom and that without them nobody can. Hoping such leaders will see wisdom and give others a chance. It is also my prayer that elections in Africa should be free and fair ALWAYS as, at most times, incumbency has led to unfair practices and stealing of votes through total corruption.

1. Thank you for your comment, Sam. Staying in power is appealing to many politicians everywhere. I think gaining democratic maturity, and establishing the systems to avoid staying too long is a process that takes time…