Technology and Financial Inclusion

A former student used to work for a microfinance institution in Kenya. He quitted: he wasn’t comfortable with the high rates and fee charges of traditional microfinance loans (37 % average). Meant to promote financial inclusion, these loans may end up making borrowers poorer than they were. At the same time, the super-high interest rates have to do with the high risk the lender runs because it’s difficult to evaluate creditworthiness. The good news is that technology can help overcome this problem, and contribute promoting financial inclusion.

Africa: Technology and financial inclusion.jpg
Technology can help boost financial inclusion

In Kenya, both start-ups and established banks are using technology to evaluate creditworthiness in unconventional ways. A couple of examples that I read in the latest issue of The Africa Report:

• InVenture is an U.S.-based start-up that describes itself as “using world class technology to revolutionize financial services in emerging markets.” How? Through their Tala application, one can get instant loans up to Ksh 50,000 (about US$ 500 or € 440). Applying for the loan takes 5 minutes. The approval process takes into account contact information on mobile phones: if more than 40 % contacts listed include both first and last name, the owner of the mobile is estimated to be 16 times more likely to repay loans promptly.
  • Sidian is a mid-sized Kenyan commercial bank. They have partnered with Uber to offer car loans to Uber drivers at below average market rates (10.5 % vs. 18 %). Uber drivers that have made 500 rides and have a user rating of 4.6 out of 5 qualify for the loan. Sidian has allocated 10 billion (close to US$ 99 million or € 88 million) to this end.

Quite interesting! I want to make a couple of points:

1. This reminds me of the “toothpick test” – regular readers of this blog know what I mean by this: in contexts where statistics pose a challenge, decision-makers need to identify alternative indicators of what drives their businesses. You may learn more about this in an earlier post on the informal economy.
  2. Retail financial services are one of the multiple areas in which Africa can leapfrog – financial inclusion doesn’t require a dense network of bank branches: a dense network of mobile phones may suffice, and that’s already established in many countries in the continent.

Any thoughts about how you can use technology in your business?