- “Duopoly Information Equilibrium: Cournot and Bertrand” in Cournot Oligopoly: Characterization and Applications, A. Daughety (ed.), Cambridge University Press, 1988 and in Microeconomic Theories of Imperfect Competition: Old Problems and New Perspectives, J. Gabszewicz and J-F. Thisse (eds.), Edwar Elgar Publisher Ltd., UK, 1999. (Reprint of Journal of Economic Theory, 34, 1, October 1984, pp. 71-94.)
- “On the Efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot Equilibria with Product Differentiation” in Cournot Oligopoly: Characterization and Applications, A. Daughety (ed.), Cambridge University Press, 1988 and in The Economics of Product Differentiation, Vol. II, J-F Thisse and G. Norman (eds.), International Library of Critical Writings in Economics, no. 37, Aldershot, U.K.: Elgar, 1994, 34-43. (Reprint of Journal of Economic Theory, 36, 1, June 1985, pp. 166-175)
- “Competition in Spanish Banking” (with R. Caminal and J. Gual), in European Banking in the 1990’s, J. Dermine (ed.), Basil Blackwell, 1990, pp. 271-321.
- “Banking Competition and European Integration”, in European Financial Integration, A. Giovanini and C. Mayer, (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 1991, pp. 9-31.
- “Commitment, Flexibility and Market Outcomes”, in Market Strategy and Structure, J.M. Alec Gee and G. Norman (eds.), Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1992, pp. 250-262. (Reprint of International Journal of Industrial Organization, 4, 2, 1986, pp. 217-229)
- “The Supervisory Function of the European System of Central Banks” in Prudential Regulation, Supervision and Monetary Policy, Franco Bruni (ed.), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi, Milan, 1993. (Reprint of Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia, 51, October-December 1992, 523-532)
- “On the Strategic Choice of Spatial Price Policy”, (with J.F. Thisse), American Economic Review, 78, 1, March 1988, 122-137. Reprinted in The Economics of Location, Vol. II, Melvin L. Greenhut and George Norman (eds.), Elgar Reference Collection: International Library of Critical Writings in Economics, Vol. 42. Aldershot, U.K.: Elgar, 1995, 401-416.
- “The Sources of Irish Growth” (with A. de la Fuente), in International Perspectives on Irish Economic Issues, A. Grey (ed.), Indecon Public Economic Series, 1997, pp. 112-134.
- “Corporate Governance: Does it Matter?” in Corporate Governance: Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives, Cambridge University Press, 2000, pp. 1-21.
- “Lessons from European Banking Liberalization and Integration”, in The Internationalization of Financial Services, S. Claessens and M. Jansen (eds.), Kluwer Law International (UK), 2000, pp. 177-198.
- “Central Banks and Supervision with Application to the EMU”, in Challenges for Modern Central Banking, A. Santomero, S. Viotti and A.Vredin (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers (USA), 2001, pp. 95-113.
- “Information Sharing: Economics and Antitrust“, in The Pros and Cons of Information Sharing, Stockholm: Swedish Competition Authority, 2006, pp. 83-100.
- “Information Sharing Among Firms”, in The New Palgrave: A Dictionary of Economics, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- “Supermodularity and Supermodular Games”, in The New Palgrave: A Dictionary of Economics, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- “Competition and Regulation in Banking”, in Handbook of Financial Intermediation and Banking, A. Thakor and A. Boot (eds.), Amsterdam: North Holland, 2008.
- “Competition Policy in Europe”, chapter 1 in Competition Policy in Europe. Fifty Years On from the Treaty of Rome, Oxford University Press 2009, pp.1-20.
- “Regulation and Competition Policy in Banking” (with E. Carletti), chapter 10 in Competition Policy in Europe. Fifty Years On from the Treaty of Rome, Oxford University Press 2009, pp. 260-283.
- “The GE-Honeywell Merger in the EU” (with G. Staffiero), chapter 17 in Cases in European Competition Policy: The Economic Analysis (B. Lyons editor), Cambridge University Press 2009, pp. 434-464.
- “The Challenge of Competition in the Electricity Sector”, in Energy Regulation in Spain: From Monopoly to Market, Madrid: CNE, 2010, 219-244.
- “Competition and Stability in Banking. A New World for Competition Policy?“ 2010, in Financial Supervision in an Uncertain World, ESI Annual Conference Report, S. Eijffinger and K. Koedijk (eds.), CEPR, 2010.
- “The Financial Industry and the Crisis: The Role of Innovation” in Innovation. Perspectives for the 21st Century, BBVA, 2010, 321-329.
- “Competition and Stability in Banking”, in Monetary Policy under Financial Turbulence, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Central Bank of Chile, 2011, 455-502.
- “The Spanish Financial Industry at the Start of 21st Century: Current Situation and Future Challenges”, in The Spanish Financial System. Growth and Development since 1900, J.L. Malo de Molina and P. Martín-Aceña (eds.), New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, pp. 383-423.
- “Banking in Spain” (with J. Maudos), in Handbook of European Banking, B. Casu and T. Beck (eds.), London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, 567-601.
- “Regulatory Reform: Where to from Here?“, in Achieving Financial Stability: Challenges to Prudential Regulation, D. Evanoff, G. Kaufmann, A. Leonello and S. Manganelli (eds.), Singapore: World Scientific, 2017, 361-366.
- “The Impact of Fintech in Banking“, in Banks, Regulation, and the Real Sector. European Economy, 2018, 97-106.
- “Strategic Complementarities in Oligopoly“, in Handbook of Game Theory and Industrial Organization, L. Corchon and M. Marini (eds.), Cheltenam: Edward Elgar, 2018, Vol. I, 9-39.