About Doing Business on the Earth!

Doing Business on the Earth explores how the issues of strategyglobalizationgeopolitics, and environmental sustainability intersect to create the business environment today and over the next 10-20 years.

Drawing on my experience as an Academic, Management Consultant, and student of history, I have been writing the blog since October, 2013 to express my views on the impact these issues have on business and offer my suggestions on how business leaders might consider approaching them.

For several years I have been writing this blog more or less every week. While the focus of the blog has not changed, I have sharply decreased the number of postings due to my increasing concern about the way our public discourse has evolved over the last few years. The issue is that many people’s thoughts and ideas are informed by bubbles of information that are internally consistent rather than with sincere debate with others.

Like most people, I tend to get my information from a handful of news outlets and websites that I find reliable. These are the sources I would use to put together my own thoughts each week on what was happening in the world.

What I have come to realize, however, is that I was actually contributing to the bubble problem with my own blog as it was based on articles that I found in places like the New York Times, the Guardian, and a number of other places. Even when I would look outside of my own bubble, for example, to Al Jazeera, I still relied on other people’s points of view.

All of this is to explain that I am now writing a blog when I see or experience something myself and think it is worthwhile to share. As this does not happen on a regular basis, the frequency now depends on what is going on.

If you are reading this, you might be interested in another blog that I have recently created connected to my new book, Learning to Fly. That blog looks at these issues from the perspective of someone trying to manage their professional career in light of these and other issues going on around the world.

In any case, thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoy the blog.